UPDATE: How Courageous Neighbor Saved Paul from Hippo’s Mouth

By Our Reporter




On Monday, 12th December, 2022, this website ran a story of how a 2 year old boy was swallowed by a hippo at Katwe, Kabatoro in Kasese district but vomited him out shortly still alive.


Now Police has given a chilling account of how the miracle happened.


According to ACP Enanga, Paul Iga who had been alone unattended to by his parents got swallowed by a hippo that had strayed from Lake Edward on the 04.12.2022, at around 3pm, while playing at their home in Rwenjubu cell, Lake Katwe – Kabatoro Town Council in Kasese District.


Enanga says the hippo grabbed the two year old boy from the head and swallowed half of his body.


It took the bravery of a one Chrispus Bagonza, who was nearby, to save the victim after he stoned the hippo and scared it, causing it to release the victim from its mouth.


The victim was immediately rushed for treatment to a nearby clinic, for injuries on the hand and later transferred to Bwera Hospital for further treatment.


He recovered fully and was discharged, after receiving a vaccine for rabies. He was thereafter, handed over to the parents by police.


Iga’s home is about 800meters from Lake Edward. This is the first such kind of incident where a hippo strayed out of the Lake Edward and attacked a young child.


“Although the hippo was scared back into the lake, all residents near animal sanctuaries and habitats, should know that wild animals are very dangerous. Instinctually, wild animals see humans as a threat and any interaction can cause them to act strangely or aggressively,” Enanga counsels.


He advises all residents of Katwe-Kabatooro Town Council, which is located within Queen Elizabeth National Park, to remain vigilant and always alert UWA rangers, about animals that have strayed into their neighbourhoods.


Back to top button
Verified by MonsterInsights