Eye Witnesses Confirm Police Account Of People Power Zigy Wyne’s Death

Ziggy Wyne alive (L), hospitalise after the said motorcycle accident (R)

Compiled By Markson Omagor


The death of Michael Kalinda, alias Zigy Wyne also a known supporter of Bobi Wine’s People Power movement has courted controversy with many activists believing there was foul play.

On Thursday 8th of August for instance, a Activists in Teso region under the umbrella of Teso Youth Forum addressed a press conference in Soroti Municipality where they accused government of complicity in the Musicians death.

Earlier, the State owned New Vision reported thus:

Ugandan musician and blogger Michael Kalinda, better known as Ziggy Wine, has died from injuries sustained during his recent torturous ordeal.


The member of the Firebase Crew was abducted by unknown people while on his way to the recording studios in Kamwokya on July 21 and later found dumped at Mulago with his left eye plucked out and two fingers snipped off.


He breathed his last at Mulago Hospital in Kampala, where he was admitted Sunday evening.


James Mubiru, who worked closely with him, confirmed the artiste’s death early Monday.


“It is hard to believe that my brother, my friend and fellow comrade in the struggle has gone to meet with the Lord. We have tried all we can in our capacity to see Ziggy makes it but, unfortunately, in vain,” said Mubiru.


The motorbike he was riding the day he disappeared last month is also missing.


Ziggy Wine was a social media blogger and an upcoming musician attached to Firebase Crew, owned by Kyadondo East MP and musician Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu (Bobi Wine).


A week after his kidnap, Ziggy Wine was found abandoned at Mulago, unconscious and with burns on his entire body, believed to be inflicted using a flat iron.


On Thursday, Bobi Wine Bobi Wine talked of how his “close friend” had been tortured.


“My close friend and fellow artiste (Ziggy Wine) was kidnapped a couple of weeks back, beaten beyond recognition, his left eye plucked out, two of his fingers cut off, all his belongings taken and dumped in Mulago Hospital and left for dead,” he said.


He said that at the time, Ziggy Wine was in such a bad state that he had lost nearly all his senses and was surviving by God’s mercy.


In an earlier interview with New Vision, Kampala Metropolitan Police Spokesperson Patrick Onyango had said they were yet to register a complaint from the musician’s family but that they would investigate to find out who was behind the kidnap.


“We will try to establish if it is true he was kidnapped. We will also wait for him to recover and record statements on whether he remembers where he was being detained,” Onyango said then.

However fresh information coming from people who witnessed the accident that later led to Ziggy’s death shows that the Musician died of injuries sustained form a motorcycle crash around Kyebando, a Kampala suburb.


According to Daily Monitor, one of Uganda’s Independent Newspapers;



Anumber of witnesses on Thursday 8th August said Michael Kalinda, alias Zigy Wyne, crashed his motorcycle into a bollard on Northern Bypass on July 21, corroborating similar accounts police offered on Tuesday.


In interviews with this newspaper, witnesses comprising boda bodas, vendors and mechanics said the accident happened near Passover Stage on a newly-built road linking Kamwokya and Kyebando suburbs of the city.


According to Mr Brian Mushoborozi, an electrician, the accident happened between 7:30pm and 8pm when a speeding rider, while dodging an oncoming vehicle with full headlights, hit a woman and slammed into a concrete.


The motorcycle spun and fell on him in a side-drain, the witness said.

“It took three of us to lift the motorcycle off him. We tried to make him stand but he was just falling; he could not support himself,” said Mr Mushoborozi, who offered similar accounts to detectives, according to an August 6 police statement.

At the said accident scene, our reporter observed stretched marks on the bollard, which separates carriageways. Motorists at the moment use only one carriageway because the other is closed to vehicular traffic.


Mr David Yiga, a boda boda rider at Passover Stage, said he saw the rider race from Kalerwe towards Kyebando roundabout before the crash.

“When we lifted the motorcycle, he was bleeding from the ears, nose and the left eye was swollen,” he said.


Two fingers of the victim, who at the time never had identity documents but was later named as Zigy Wyne, were shattered in the accident and he bled profusely.

Some of the people, who came to help him, Mr Yiga said, fled in panic when they saw his shredded fingers dripping with blood.

Zigy Wyne, 28, succumbed to the injuries last Sunday night.