Abdu Katuntu, the Bugweri County MP has thrown down the white towel revealing that his marriage with FDC is over.
Katuntu revealed this on Saturday while appearing on Capital FM talk show.
When asked by the Show’s moderator, Oscar Ssemweya whether he still belonged to FDC, Katuntu replied in the negative.
“Between me and FDC, it is a closed chapter,” he said.
From the time Katuntu and his deputy Anita Among, the Bukedea Woman MP was dropped from chairing Cosace last year, his relationship with FDC took a nosedive.
Patrick Oboi Amuriat, the FDC Party President swung the axe replacing Katuntu and Among with with Kawempe South MP Mubarak Munyagwa as Chairperson and Rubaga North MP Moses Kasibante as Vice Chairperson.
To many FDC insiders, it was just a matter of time for Katuntu to declare his exit officially.
Katuntu has been in Parliament for 20 years representing Bugweri County on FDC ticket. He has been one of the pillars of FDC recently bringing the performance of Parliament to be noticed by the public while chairing Cosace.
Last year in January, Katuntu who had been MP since 2001 announced that he was retiring from active politics and that he was not going to stand for any post in 2021 general elections.
Speaking to mourners at the burial of Esinasi Negesa Nagwomo – mother to Nagwomu Moses Musamba, the Bunyole East MP at Kachonga in Butaleja district, Katuntu said 20 years were enough and it was high time he retired from active politics.
“It’s better for one to serve and leave for others also to take over; five years is too short a time for any leader to make any impact. Twenty years is good enough,” he said.
However when pressed on Saturday whether he would contest, Katuntu was not categorical in his reply.
“That decision has not been made yet,” he said emphasizing that even if he decided to contest, it will not be on the FDC ticket. He also did not disclose whether he will join ANT or stand as an Independent.