Credit Daily Mail.co.uk
Paul Pogba’s ankle injury is different to the one that kept Manchester United’s unsettled midfielder out of action for three months, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has revealed.
Pogba had surgery on Thursday and is expected to be out of action for at least another month after complaining of discomfort in his two comeback games off the bench against Watford and Newcastle.
Solskjaer confirmed that the operation was to cure a different problem to the one Pogba sustained in September, and the United boss rowed back on comments after Wednesday’s defeat at Arsenal that surgery had been the decision of the player’s ‘people’.
That raised concerns that the 26-year-old was acting without United’s permission.
However, Solskjaer was keen to stress that the club was part of the decision-making process before shutting down questions about Pogba at his weekly press conference.
‘Here we go again, FA Cup third round and you’re talking about Paul again,’ said Solskjaer. ‘Paul came back after a long spell out, two games, had a reaction, couldn’t go to Burnley, felt his ankle was sore, and we did a scan.
‘And it’s not the same injury, it’s a different injury. Of course, when you get that scan, we speak to him, you consult your own medical people as well like I did, when I did my operation.
‘You want the best second opinion and the advice was to have it done. It’s not a major one and probably, as I said, three or four weeks.’
Asked about the reference to Pogba’s ‘people’, Solskjaer added: ‘As in when you consult your surgeon and the ones you trust, that’s maybe my bad English.
‘You have people you trust and speak to. As I said, when I did my injuries, loads of knee operations, I had my people in Norway and Sweden I spoke to and Paul has people he trusts, and that’s more important.
‘So that’s more or less it. And the FA Cup is the next talking subject, alright? That’s as clear as it can be at this point.’