A village where Uganda’s first Covid-19 death case originated from has been put under complete lockdown.
Kisongofa village in Namunyare Parish, Namabaya Sub County in Namisindwa district was yesterday Friday 24th July put on total lockdown.
This was revealed by the Resident District Commissioner (RDC) Namisindwa, Moses Kigayi yesterday. Kigayi said that the whole village had been placed under total lockdown with people not allowed to leave or enter the village.
He said the decision was made after the first emergency meeting held between the Namisindwa district Covid-19 task force and the team from Ministry of Health.
“The team of experts arrived from the Ministry the following day after information circulated that there was a woman who died of Covid-19 virus and they are here to carry out more investigations and follow up the contacts of the deceased,” Kigayi said.
“We have announced a total lockdown in the village where the deceased was staying and we are not allowing any movement of people in that village,” he added.
Kigayi said the deceased was a very popular woman in the village and the district at large thus making contact tracing quite challenging. He argued therefore that the only way to prevent more spread of the virus or contact of contacts is to institute a total lockdown of the village.
He added that 40 people including some staff members and patients who were with the deceased at Buwasungui HC II have been placed under quarantine.
According to Kigayi, the number of contacts is so big that there is need for a concerted effort between the stakeholders and community members to help the task force in identifying contacts.
Kigayi also revealed that the idea of locking down the entire district is being given serious consideration.
“We are considering a total lockdown for the whole district. We shall not allow anybody to leave or enter the district,” he said.
The security along the Uganda – Kenya border points has also been beefed up with more security personnel expected to be deployed.